CNG is committed to helping all students develop their individual potential for excellence, and we believe character development is an integral part of this goal. At CNG, developing character for leadership and service is missional, visional, and a moral imperative.
Character Development at CNG
Research consistently shows that character development correlates with decreased behavior referrals, absenteeism, and bullying. Concurrently, it correlates with increased academic performance, positive school climate, and general wellbeing of students, teachers, and families. As a result, CNG students become not only smarter but also better people.
“Character for Life” is CNG’s cross-disciplinary and comprehensive approach that weaves character education across school life and the curriculum. Although character must be taught at school and at home every day at all times, it is purposefully planned and intentionally taught in all core content areas, athletics, and co-curricular activities.
Respect, Responsibility, Caring, and Integrity are CNG Core Values, and they permeate every aspect of the school.
We believe that the purposeful effort to develop character in its cognitive, psychological, and behavioral components teaches students to know, do, and love what is good. The process gets magnified when we work together as a community where students, parents, and teachers understand that we all are role models who exemplify our Core Values. We are all teachers of character regardless of our role at CNG.
Character Education Achievements
- CNG was awarded in 2018 the Templeton Prize for Best Practices in Character Education in Latin America for its project titled: Fundación Hogar Nueva Granada.
- In 2019, Character.org awarded CNG two promising practices: CNG Character Education Task Force and Coaching The CNG Way! (within our athletics program).
- After completing a rigorous certification and evaluation process, CNG became recognized as a “School of Character” by this same organization – the first international school in South America to receive this honor.
- Additionally, in May 2019, CNG was awarded the Great Place to Work® certificate for having workplace policies and practices that generate trust and organizational commitment.
- CNG was recognized as 2020 Colombia School of Character by Character.org, the first school in South America with this recognition.